Friday, February 8, 2013

Jaqx Food Crave-Quinoa, Berries, and Mint Salad

I pretty much live on fruits and vegetables and I'm always experimenting with new healthy recipes that have a bit of vegetarian protein in it for my family and a I. I've made quinoa in a hot dish before, but decided to prepare it a different way this past week. Here is a super simple recipe for a cold, fresh, super healthy quinoa salad. It's so pretty when it's dished as well, perfect to bring to a party too. Here is what you will need:

Strawberries- Dice into small bite sizes

Blueberries- keep whole

Chopped Walnuts

Lemon- use half for fresh juice and the keep the peel to zest with

Quinoa

Olive Oil- 1/2 tablespoon if cooking 1 cup of Quinoa- just enough to keep separated

Agave Nectar- 1 tablespoon to lightly sweeten

Fresh Mint- Chopped

- I prefer to roast my chopped walnuts for 5 minutes in the oven whenever I use them in a recipe because I feel the flavor comes out even more. Cook the Quinoa as directed on box- usually it is 1 cup Quinoa with 2 cups water (bring to a boil…then simmer for 10-15 minutes). Let the Quinoa cool off till at least room temp and toss with a tiny bit of Olive Oil. Add strawberries, blueberries, lemon zest, chopped mint, fresh lemon juice, agave, and then fold in the chopped walnuts. After everything is mixed together well and cool off in the fridge. I made enough to snack on for the next 2-3 days. This is super delicious and a super healthy. Hope you like it!









No comments:

Post a Comment