Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Jaqx Guilt Free Food Crave-Spiced Baked Chickpeas (Luchtime Snack)

Sometimes I crave something sweet and/or spicy with a crunch! Store bought chips and snacks are filled with so many preservatives and chemicals, and have tons of sodium. For the most part, unless I can pronounce and understand what each ingredient on the label is, I don't buy it. I usually opt for shopping at Trader Joes which has great organic snacks, but I still feel better when I make my own from scratch.

Here is a quick lunchtime snack I made today, it took less than 10 minutes to prep and put in the oven. If you make larger batches of the spice mixes and store it in an airtight container, it would take you 5 minutes to make a batch every other time you make it. No excuses! For a smaller snack- cut the recipe in half (these aren't as great the 2nd or 3rd day, so I recommend only making what you would eat for one day)

1. Preheat the oven for 425 degrees (oven temp and cooking time may vary based on your brand)

2. Grab 2 cans (low sodium) chickpeas

3. Rinse chickpeas well under water and dry with paper towels. Some of the top layers of the chickpeas will come off, that's fine...just discard that (or put in your compost). Get the chickpeas as dry as possible.

4. Toss chickpeas with a light drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and spread out on baking sheet

5. Mix the following spices together in a small bowl (2 tsp sugar, 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp cinnamon). Note: I forgot to add cinnamon to my picture.

6. Lightly and evenly sprinkle the chickpeas with the spice mixture.

7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing the mixture half way through- since oven times my vary, you may want to check for the right consistency before removing from the oven. Should be lightly crunchy. Remove from oven and enjoy! I usually wait till they are fool before eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment